Sunday 22 February 2015

Hug a Farmer

When I first read about this assignment I knew right away what farm I was going to visit. For a few years now, my parents have taken part in a CSA (community supported agriculture) program at Willowtree Farms located just west of Port Perry.
Sweet potatoes, tomatoes, pears, acorn and butternut squash, Brussels sprouts and garlic from the farm share (Oct.2014)
 Willowtree is a family run farm that was established in 1969 as a dairy farm by the McKay family. By 1980, they were growing strawberries and selling them at farmer's markets and by 1993 they had sold their dairy cows to focus on beef cattle, fruits and veggies.

Willowtree's roadside sign
Unfortunately for me, the farm closes down for the winter season and I was unable to meet in person with anyone from the McKay family since they were in Honduras. However, I was able to correspond through email with Kelty, the daughter-in-law of Rod and Marlene McKay. I learned that their main stance toward farming is land stewardship, protecting the environment to ensure future generations can also farm it sustainably.

The market at Willowtree - buried under snow
Although they do not practice organic farming, they practice sustainable farming with a focus on soil conservation (crop rotation, using manure instead of synthetic fertilizers), waste management and alternative energy projects such as solar arrays on the roof of the barn and the use of waste corn or barley in an outdoor furnace to provide heat. They do not use GMO's and their livestock are raised grazing on grass, hay and grain which is grown on site.

Romanesco cauliflower - I had never seen one of these until it showed up in the farm share back in October
What I have learned from this is that it is a great feeling to know exactly where your food is coming from and how it is being grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment